In out Biology class we have been working with kidneys and did some presentations, here you can find some notes I took:
In our biology class today we worked with urine samples. To analyze if the kidney they had come from and what it contained was healthy for the body we used Benedict and Buiret.
In our last lab class we worked with Carbon dioxide and saw and understood how it is excreted from our body. In groups we did and experiment using a candle, a thermometer and a tube filled with lime water (this solution makes a reaction when it makes contact with CO2).
In our Biology class we went to the lab and saw and analyzed a chicken’s heart and liver. We did some drawing of it too.
On our last Biology class we went to the lab and worked with expired and unexpired air. We did these experiments in groups, I worked with Serena Braun, Valentina Pease and Mora Malenchini. After that we recorded results and analyzed them.
Today in our Biology class we went to the lab and cut a kidney with scissors in twl halfs. We analyzed the inside of it, the cortex, the medulla, the ureter, etc. Here there are some pictures of our work:
In our last Biology class we went to the lab and were able to work with the small intestine of a cow. We used scissors and forceps to analyze it. Here there are some pictures of the organ:
- Plasma: mostly water, carries nutrients
- Red blood cells: made in the bone marrow, do not live very long (no nucleus), work fast, contain haemoglobin (carries oxygen)
- White blood cells: Have nucleus, can move around easily, fight pathogens
- Platelets: small cells, blood clotting, do not have nucleus
Transport in blood
- Blood’s main function: to transport substances
- Blood cell shape: donut
- Lungs, oxygen diffuses, forms oxyhaemoglobin
- Arteries from aorta, supply oxygen, turns to hemoglobin
- OxyHb and Hb colours
In our Biology class we have been working with the circulatory system. The last thing we learnt about is electrocardiograma. In groups we did the a summary about it. I worked with Facundo Segura, Santiago Yezze and Matías Campion.
In our last practical we worked with a cow’s heart. We used gloves and scissors to examinate the different parts of it (valves/pulmonary artery/vena cava/ventricles/atrium/etc.)